196: Dean Inserra | Is the Bible's Plan for Sexuality Outdated?
Dean Inserra | Is the Bible's Plan for Sexuality Outdated?
DEAN INSERRA is a graduate of Liberty University and holds a M.A. in Theological Studies from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
He is the founding pastor of City Church. Dean is passionate about
reaching the city of Tallahassee with the Gospel, to see a worldwide impact made for Jesus.
He is married to Krissie and they have two sons, Tommy and Ty, and one daughter, Sally Ashlyn.
Follow the SHOW on your favorite listening app BELOW!
So you never miss a new episode.
Dean Inserra and Amber discuss why the Bible’s plan for sexuality isn’t outdated and the major flaw of 90’s purity culture that lead to some of the backlash we see today.
Questions Discussed During Is the Bible’s Plan for Sexuality Outdated?
- (4:49) Your newest book, Pure, digs into God’s design regarding sexuality and how it is not outdated, irrelevant or oppressive. What is purity culture?
- (10:32) You share the Biblical roots of purity culture and point out one MAJOR flaw. What are some of those roots and what is the major flaw that has led to the backlash we see today?
- (25:49) You, then, highlight 7 lies the world tells us about relationships and sexuality. Things like, “Sex is Expected”, “Cohabitation Makes Sense”, “Porn is the Norm” and “Gay is Okay”. What are some ways we, as followers of Jesus, can navigate conversations about these cultural norms in a way that communicates truth and love?
- (32:27) What is the message from your book for people who are single?
- (35:09) What is your biggest hope for your book, Pure?
Quotes from Is the Bible’s Plan for Sexuality Outdated?
“God chose marriage to be the union, that oneness, that one fleshness…to be a visible portrait of the invisible reality of the union between Christ and the church.”
“Christians messing up and Christians taking the wrong approach in terms of how they’re communicating…doesn’t change the fact that God has a clear design.”
“The church [needs] to be ready to receive what I call refugees from the sexual revolution, who are realizing this is not what it lived up to be.”
“When you take what God has designed and placed it somewhere that He did not designed for it to be carried out, it’s going to be a mess. And it’s supposed to be. We don’t gloat over that, we should be broken over that ourselves….I think one of the big steps for Christians and how we’re going to be able to love this world in the sexual revolution is to be unashamed. You understand what God has said and also to carry the aroma of Christ.”
“We need to make sure that our distinct lives are pointing people to our distinct God, and to His distinct design.”
“God in the Scriptures wants marriage to flourish and that’s more than sex, but it’s not less.”
“We want Christians…to remember that God does not punish us as our sins deserve. He does not count our sins against us. So if God doesn’t count our sins against us, why should we count our sins against us?”
“Do no regrets dating. Don’t do long term things with with short term people.”
- Book: Pure: Why the Bible’s Plan for Sexuality Isn’t Outdated, Irrelevant, or Oppressive by Dean Inserra
- Union with Christ Doctrine
- FREE 4 Week Gratitude Practice
I would love to stay connected with you and keep you updated on Grace Enough Happenings!
Join the mailing list.
Don’t worry, your information will not be shared.
214: Alan Fadling | How to Become an Unhurried LeaderMarch 27, 2023/0 Comments
210: Wendy Alsup | Clinging to God When Your Church Falls ApartFebruary 28, 2023/