Randy Hartley | Story Behind Beautifully Broken book & Movie, 175
Randy Hartley | Story Behind Beautifully Broken book & Movie
Randy Hartley lives in Nashville, Tennessee, where he has been a financial planner for thirty-eight years. He is married to his wife, Darla, and they have three children—Alyssa, Andrea, and Nate.
Randy was the executive producer for the film Beautifully Broken, which was released in 2018.
He also serves as Chairman of Legacy Mission Village, the refugee ministry founded by William and Ebralie Mwizerwa.
Randy Hartley and Amber discuss the redemptive story of his family and two other families that is told in Beautifully Broken movie and book.
Story Behind Beautifully Broken Book & Movie Questions Discussed:
- (3:14) Share a little about your faith journey. When did you begin walking with Jesus?
- (4:24) Today, we are going to talk about the journey of two fathers fighting to save their families, one of which is you. Share a little of the trauma your daughter experienced and how that led to her serving refugee children and families?
- (12:13) Tell us about the Mwizerwa family and how your families ended up going to Rwanda?
- (18:41) Your journey is chronicled in the movie Beautifully Broken and a book by the same title. How did they come about?
- (22:47) The child you and your family sponsored for year also experienced transformation. Tell us about meeting her and her family.
- (31:00) Is Legacy Mission Village still serving refugees?
- (33:53) How has your view of refugees been impacted through your friendship with William and his family?
Quotes from the Story Behind Beautifully Broken Book & Movie:
“It still gets me but the note just said when she was 12 years old, she’d been molested.”
“Just because you learn the root of an issue and you’re working on it doesn’t mean you don’t have setbacks.”
“In the middle of one of the most frustrating days of a setback….I looked down and we had a letter from…the little girl Andrea had been sponsoring for 10 years from Compassion…And somehow it just struck me. I said, ‘That’s it. I’m taking my daughter to Rwanda.’ And I tell people all the time, God knows why I thought that was the answer. But thankfully, God knew why that was the answer. I just didn’t fully understand it yet. And that started the journey of beautifully broken…that’s told in the book and the movie.”
“That’s when it really dawned on her [Andrea]. How could I be worthless? How can I be worthless if these kids can’t wait to see me every day.” -in response to serving at Legacy Mission Village
“His [William’s] family was from Rwanda…We’d been sponsoring this little girl from Rwanda at that point for probably four or five years, so that gave us a little connection.”
“She said that ditch there is the ditch we were lined up in the night the militia came. She said, the whole family was lined up there and they had machetes and guns over our heads. They kept asking us what children we have in the rebels army.”
“I’ll never forget, she said, I don’t know how long we laid there, because how do you count minutes when you’re waiting to die. But William slowly got us up. We prayed all night, and we left the next morning. I’ve never been back here until this moment.”
“He said, I went to jail when she was two, and I had no idea how my family would survive. I prayed, ‘God, how can my family make it? How is my family gonna survive?’ And he looked at me and he said, God sent me you. Thank you for being a faithful father to my family all the years I couldn’t be here. And it just struck me that when my family was falling apart, we were holding his family together.”
“These bare threads of three families who’ve been through trauma, and [only] God could weave those threads together and just create this divine tapestry of His love and grace and beauty.”
“If the name of our book was broken, I wouldn’t want you to read it….But it’s beautifully broken, because broken was a chapter, but it’s not the story.”
“There would be no purpose in me showing our family’s dirty laundry if that was the purpose of the book. It’s really that the rest of the book is for God’s glory about how things were made whole again.”
- Movie: Beautifully Broken
- Book: Beautifully Broken by Randy Hartley
- Legacy Mission Village
- FREE Resource: 8 Books That Were Influential in Ways That Surprised Me
205: Ed Welch | Psychiatric Diagnosis & God’s WordJanuary 24, 2023/
203: Joni Eareckson Tada | Songs of Suffering & Hymns of HopeJanuary 10, 2023/