83: Chrystal Evans Hurst | Prayer: Conversation with Jesus
Chrystal Evans Hurst | Prayer: Conversation with Jesus
Chrystal Evans Hurst is an encourager who teaches people to love God, to love others, and to love themselves. Chrystal is a wife, mother of five and grandmother of two. She is also a speaker and the best-selling author of She’s Still There, Kingdom Woman and the newly released, The 28-Day Prayer Journey.
Chrystal is an energetic, life-loving “girl-next-door” who loves encouraging others to fulfill their potential in Christ. With humor and vulnerability, Chrystal tells it like it is but does so with grace, integrity, and love. You can find Chrystal regularly sharing encouragement via her podcasts and blogs, where she poignantly reflects on faith and speaks with frank honesty about the everyday experiences of women. Chrystal firmly believes God’s promise in Jeremiah 29:11, “I know the plans that I have for you…” and she desires to help other women believe and apply that truth to their lives.
Chrystal Evans Hurst joins me on the Grace Enough Podcast to discuss prayer and how it is simply accepting God’s invitation to join Him in conversation.
Questions Chrystal and I Discussed:
- (4:20) Share a little of your faith journey with us. How did you come to know Jesus?
- (8:02) As we begin to talk about prayer, share with our listeners how prayer changed you during one of the hardest seasons of your life.
- (12:05) As followers of Jesus prayer is how we communicate with Him. I think it is safe to say we long for a consistent, unceasing prayer life, but often get caught up in the “how-to’s” or feel guilty about constantly asking God for more. How can we move beyond that and develop prayer habits that lend itself to intimacy and conversation with Jesus?
- (19:15) How can we have peace in the waiting?
- (22:28) Why do our prayers matter for more than just us?
- (26:06) If you had the opportunity to sit down with your great grandchildren,
what is some wisdom that you would like to share with them?
Quotes to Remember:
“He can handle my questions. He can handle my anger. He can handle my grief. He can handle my my disappointment in Him, that He didn’t do what we were asking him to do. And by coming to Him and continuing to come to Him, whatever that looks like, whether it’s the disappointment, it’s the grief, it’s the frustration, it’s the anger or if it’s just, today was a rough day, and I want to make sure that You know that I know You were here for all of it…. The God of the universe has said, listen, I went through a lot of trouble to make sure that we could have fellowship.”
“There are a lot of people who’ve been talking to God for a very long time. Is there anything that I’m going to say to God, a question that I’m going to ask, a frustration that I’m going to have, a grief that I’m struggling to handle, a disappointment that I’m struggling to deal with? Is there anything that I could say or ask God that he hasn’t heard before? Probably not?”
“God has already started the conversation. He’s already said, by virtue of the sacrifice of His son, and by the delivery of the word, I want to have a conversation with you.”
“If you think God is…worth your time, then you talk back. You talk back. All prayer is is an invitation to enter into a conversation.”
“Conversating with God is not supposed to be obligatory it’s supposed to be relational. Just enjoy the conversation.”
“Maybe the question is, instead of who’s prayer warriorring for me? The question is, who am I the prayer warrior for?”
- David: A man after God’s own heart 1 Sam. 13;14, Acts 13:22
- Cattle on a thousand hills, Psalms 50: 10
- Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, Eph. 3:20
Beloved Women’s Online Conference, October 10,2020
With Love Bomi
With Love Bomi is a small local business located in Raleigh, Durham, North Carolina. They design handcrafted leather jewelry and accessories, as well as custom stationery for personal use and special events. The pieces are inspired by faith and simple things around us. Their mission is to create pieces that accentuate beauty, communicates worth, and to make room for fellow women crafters, who may otherwise not have the opportunity or the platform to showcase their craft. With Love Bomi hopes the care and craftsmanship put into every piece tells you how you too, have been uniquely crafted with intentional inspiration and beauty that highlights just how lovely you are.
200th Episode Celebration with Amber Cullum & Amy FritzNovember 29, 2022/
198: Dr. Juli Slattery | Christian Sexual Purity & IntimacyNovember 15, 2022/
197: Rachel Joy Welcher | Talking Back to Purity CultureNovember 7, 2022/
196: Dean Inserra | Is the Bible’s Plan for Sexuality Outdated?November 1, 2022/